On Nuea Art+Design,
Personal Workshop 2022
Designsteps for Architecture
Personal CAD-studies from 18.9.2022:
2. `Sketching in CAD`. Fast design-sketch in 3D space for a feeling of the space,-the surounding. We use Rhino/VRay for 3D-visualization, and Vectorworks-2D for first plans 1:200. This step has not much details,-only the mood of the project in 3D-environment.
Today 3D-realtime programs like Twinmotion or V-Ray`s-ChaosVantage help to virtually experience the space before it exists.
3. Sketch-model from hand. Material paper, cardboard, metal and wood. Fast model for refinement of proportions and details. We think models are still the best to feel the space and to be creative. The models can be free in big or small scale.
1. 2. 3. _____Concept-Project 1:200, Präsentation vom Vorprojekt 1:200. Total 30% of work.
4. Refinement in CAD-2D. Refinement in CAD-2D of plans 1:100. Programs used: Vectorworks and Rhino (or additional Archicad in a later stage).
A new, and exact 3D-Visualization is done in Rhino/VRay. From the Rhino-3D-model,- the elevations and sections (2D-polylines) can be imported into Vectorworks for CAD-2D plans.
4. _____Project 1:100, Präsentation vom Projekt 1:100. Total 30% of work.
5. Refinement in CAD-2D or BIM-3D. Technical plans 1:50 in CAD-2D or BIM-3D, detailplans 1:20. Programs used: Vectorworks or Archicad.
5. _____Constructionplan 1:50/1:20, Präsentation vom Ausführungsplan 1:50/1:20. Total 40% of work.
This is our personal workflow/workshop. We try to overcome the stiffness sometimes in the CAD/BIM process,-we try to stay creative and flexibel. We design `from the inside out`. Changes during the project can,- and will be made anytime.
Everyone has to find to `go their own way` to do design. We tried to find our own ideas with this personal projects/workshop. On Nuea Art+Design 2022.
Subject to change / work in progress.
CAD and model: (our workflow)
CAD A: `Sketching in CAD`(pre-project CAD 1:200):
We use Vectorworks for first CAD-2D sketch-plans in scale 1:200. Rhino3D for `Sketching in CAD-3D-space`. This is only a first working-3D designmodel,- with no much details. Visualization 3D is done in Rhino/VRay.
CAD B: Refinement in CAD-2D and Rhino3D, scale 1:100 (project):
Exact CAD-2D model in 2d-plan 1:100 in Vectorworks and a new 3D-modell in Rhino3D. We do start a new CAD-2D planing in Vectorworks,-together with the help of Rhino3D for the the detailed 3d-designmodel. The sections and the elevations can be extracted from the Rhino3D-model into Vectorworks as 2D-polylines.
Optional Archicad 1:100 can be used for the 2D-plans for the client-plans.
CAD C: Construction-plan CAD-2D or BIM-3D, scale 1:50/1:20:
For the scale 1:50/1:20-construction-plan we use CAD-2D or BIM-3D plan drawings in Vectorworks or Archicad. Small projects are better in CAD-2D, large projects are sometimes better in BIM-3D.
We use e-mail or Dropbox for send the files. The exportformats from us is PDF and DWG. We use IFC for BIM-3D.
BIM studies:Service BIM-Modelling on request. We need to set up first the layer-structure with your office.
Solution for difficult cornerdestails:
We did for details BIM bloc-models without the fill-textures. Textures/lines we add by hand in 2D-layout. This way it is less complicated for difficult corner-details, as this would be hard to solve in only BIM-3D environment.
For BIM-3D-planing we use the program Archicad or Vectorworks. The exportformats from us is in PDF, IFC, and DWG.
We use e-mail or Dropbox for send the files. The exportformats from us is PDF, DWG, and BIM-IFC.
BIM add on: 1. CAD-2D and 3D-visualization. 2. CAD-3D and 3D-visualization. Use CAD-3D for sections and elevations. 3. BIM-3D when needed for building information. But only bloc-models for simple transfer of datas. See also study from Fachhochschule Luzern about the BIM-process. Link: https://sites.hslu.ch/architektur/bimwood/
oder besser wie unten ein einfaches BIM-Modell für den einfachen Datenaustausch:
Dadurch gibt es weniger Fehler,-nur das Wesentliche wird gesendet,-nicht alle Details. Siehe Fachhochschule Architektur in Luzern. Projekt BIM. Link: https://sites.hslu.ch/architektur/bimwood/
X = nicht zu empfehlen als BIM. V = Erster BIM für Kostenkalkulation* V = Zweiter BIM für Aufbau*
* Mit Fachplaner Datenaustausch/Layerstruktur zuerst absprechen,- und vorher kurz austesten.
Our set up for BIM in Vectorworks for CAD-2D and BIM.
Deutsch: Unsere Layer-Struktur in Vectorworks für CAD-2D und BIM.
Set up layers for CAD-2D or BIM in Archicad 25.
Deutsch: Die Struktur der Layer und Arbeitsebenen in Archicad 25.
Our worksteps for a project in architecture.
We try to mix media if we lose the ideas/creativity. Sometimes this help to get again new ideas and stay fresh.
- From Hand pre-project 1:200: We use a mix of pencil B to 9B, watercolor/guache, charcoal, blocmodels to fast arange/test the proportions and papermodels/woodmodels for a first impression.
- I-Pad and laptop: We use the iPad for resarch in the internet (archdaily, detail, google search). We than do moodboards and start to sketch with the iPad or by hand. On the laptop we can also do animations and realtime materialstudies to test,- all in a faster way than by hand.
- We set up roomspace-diagrams (bubble diagrams) and the study from the environment/surounding and the user/client of the design.
All this and the mix in designtechnic (from hand/iPad/laptop) helps us to stay creative and open minded.
'Follow the flows and be flexible and adaptable'.
Intern info for formats used by us:
(Or SketchUp/Form Z, -->Form Z free (.dae) to SketchUp 2022. -->From SketchUp 2022 or Archicad (.skp v 2015) to Vectorworks 2021 or to Cinema4D for 3D-visualization.). Vectorworks to Cinema direct-link or better quality with fbx-format.
- Vectorworks export to Rhino/VRay (Vectorworks export: FBX-als Klassen-, or OBJ). Vectorworks-3D to Rhino,-FBX,- open in Rhino7. Import rh7 to Archicad. This can be used to do sections and elevations. Better dwg to work on independent lines.
Info Vw-3d to 2D: 1. CAD-3D designplan in Vectorworks/Rhino. > 2. Export dwg-2D files from Vectorworks for model-reference,-click option 2d when export (and 3D-visualization .fbx for Cinema 4D). > 3. Archicad or Vectorworks for CAD-2D plan. > Cinema 4d for 3D-illustration.
Info Blender: From Rhino to Blender .fbx,- from Vectorworks to Blender .collada. Blender is a free software.
Vectorworks and Rhino7/V-Ray combination:
3D-Vectorworks to Rhino in normal `DWG-format`.->Klassen (class) are OK. Lines, pictures, and 3D wit Klassen is exportet.(*). --> Or direct export from VW with .rhino,-but then the layers are lost. But the models from .rhino can also be splited for group-elements.
In Rhino explode once for group, second time for object.
Back from Rhino to Vectorworks in .rhino7 or `SketchUp15-format`. All the import comes on a new Layer.->Better import to VW first in seperate file in VW for a test.(*)
In VW rightclick second last `Gruppe auflösen`. Sometimes have to click sometimes more to get this `Ga`.
* Vectorworks and Archicad are not good for import Rhino- or SketchUp-files. Only use for designhelp-detailmodels to import in AC or VW. But Rhino or Cinema are good for big files from AC or VW.
Vectorworks (and Archicad) have a direct import for Rhino-data .3dm. Vectorworks is better because it is as Rhino a nurbs-based program.
Archicad and Rhino7/V-Ray combination:
Archicad to Rhino from viewport 3D in normal `Rhino 3dm-format`.->after splitt can elements be textured and scaled. When like to have elements in boxes (not splittetd,- than use from 3d viewport sketchup 19 to export from Archicad. But singel faces can not be splitt anymore, with Rhino 3dm OK. When like texture-folder use exp. sketchup 15 or wavefront-->textures as jpeg in folder. Rhino to Archicad as a bloc (Rhino 3dm importer to AC).
ArtSet and Sketchbook. I Rebelle, Photoshop, Illustrator. I Rhino, Vectorworks/Archicad and Cinema 4D.
sketch, ideation Art, Illustration CAD-2D/-3D, BIM, and 3D-Illustration
For preproject 1:200 we use Rhino/V-Ray and Vectorworks,-sometimes SketchUp/V-Ray. For BIM we use Vectorworks or Archicad.
On Nuea Art+Design, design-workshop 2022.
Subject to change / work in progress.