On Nuea Art+Design,
Architecture within Nature
Architecture within Nature, or Organic Architecture, is a philosophy of architecture which promotes harmony between human habitation and the natural world. This is achieved through design approaches that aim to be sympathetic and well-integrated with a site, so buildings, furnishings, and surroundings become part of a unified, interrelated composition. (Wikipedia).
We do Architecture within Nature for housing in open landscapes, corporate architecture, but also buildings within the city-landscape.
Architecture within Nature combines architecture, design, and art in 'one'. All are interacting within the surrounding environment.
Below, we did personal projects in Architecture within Nature (projects a. to -j.). The location for the projects would be in California and Switzerland. All projects are copyright by On Nuea Art+Design, 2021/2022, Chiang Mai. Some of the projects are done in CAD-3D.
First ideasketches,-pre-project. Sketching in CAD. Fast design-sketch in 3D space. CAD-Programs used: Sketch Up, Rhino, and Cinema.
a. House on the Lake Tahoe
House on the Lake Tahoe, USA. Personal project. Theme/inspiration: The house and interior should be peaceful and quiet in the surounding landscape. It should make the place better looking than without the house. Inspiration from Frank Lloyd Wright and John Lautner.
House on the Lake Tahoe, USA. Personal project. Concept-layout for the groundfloor plan. Two dining and living rooms, two kitchens, three sleeping rooms with bath, two guestrooms, and a gallery hall.
First design-step we do a white mock-up of the house in the virtual computer-model.
Than we do the colors and textures of the house.
Model with texture and color. We model the design in the nature/environment.
For a second design we do the same house on a steeper shoreline. Following house-pictures are in a new nature/environment-surounding.
House on the Lake Tahoe. A second design-variation on a steeper shoreline.
Copyright On Nuea Art+Design, 2022.
b. House in the Sierra forest, California
Small house in the Sierra forest, California.
CAD-3D in planing.
c. House on a mountain-ridge
House on a mountain-ridge. The house has a view on each side.
House on a mountain-ridge. Fast design-sketch for a sense of 3D-space.
d. Light tower house on a seacliff
House with a light tower on a seacliff.
CAD-3D in planing.
e. Tilted office building in Los Angeles
Tilted office building in Los Angeles, California.
f. Car Showroom
g. Cliff-House on the sea
Cliff-House on the sea. Pre-project, personal project. Theme/inspiration: The sea is 24m (80 feet) below. The site is on a steep, rocky cliff in California. Inspiration from Frank Lloyd Wright, John Lautner, Morphosis, Coop Himmelblau, and Frank Gehry. The house and interior should be spectacular and a show-off in the already dynamic/wild surounding landscape.
Cliff-House on the sea. Personal project. Concept-layout for the groundfloor plans. Two dining and living rooms,-plus middle livingroom within the treespace. Two kitchens, three sleeping rooms with bath, two guestrooms, and a gallery hall.
CAD-3D in planing.
h. Corporate architecture project
i. Tiny L-house, 50m2
Tiny L-house in the principle of Architecture within Nature.
Pre-project, personal project. Theme/inspiration: Tiny L-house and the architecture of Richard Neutra and Frank Lloyd Wright's usonian house design. Project in countryside of Switzerland. Small house 50m2 with two rooms and one bathroom, but cosy. The house is off-grid, no electric but with solar. The veranda has a placed glas-skylight to let the wintersun in the house, and the more vertical summersun not.
Total Floorspace is 50m2, including the walls. The house has a wintergarden for sunheat-regulation. It has an oven for heating and is off-grid. The electric is from solar and stored in a 1000 watt battery-pack for consumption. The materials used are bricks, concrete and outside insulation of 10cm. The concreteroof has 15cm insulation against the summerheat.
Windows are placed near the ground and near the roof to open the space and integrate the house with the surounding nature and sky.
j. Tiny house, 15-40m2
All copyright 2021/2022 On Nuea Art+Design, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
3-designsteps for Architecture within NatureBefore the start of the project: Research, sketches and ideation from hand. Until we find an idea to follow.
1. Sketching in CAD. Fast design-sketch in 3D space for a feeling of the surounding. Programs CAD: Rhino, SketchUp, Vectorworks, and Cinema. This step has not much details,-only the mood of the project in 3D-environment.
2. Sketch-model from hand. Material paper, cardboard, metal and wood. Fast model for refinement of proportions and details. We think models are still the best to feel the space and to be creative.
3. Refinement in 2D-CAD and BIM. Refinement of plans and details in 2D-/BIM-plans and 3D-visualizations. Programs used: Vectorworks or Archicad,-and we use also Rhino for the more complex details. The 3D-Visualization is in Cinema or Twinmotion.
This is our personal workflow. We try to overcome the stiffness sometimes in the CAD process,-we try to stay creative, flexibel and openminded. Changes can be made anytime.
Principles of Architecture within Nature
The term "organic architecture" was coined by Frank Lloyd Wright (1867–1959), though never well-articulated by his cryptic style of writing:So here I stand before you preaching organic architecture: declaring organic architecture to be the modern ideal and the teaching so much needed if we are to see the whole of life and to now serve the whole of life, holding no traditions essential to the great TRADITION. Nor cherishing any preconceived form fixing upon us either past, present, or future, but instead exalting the simple laws of common sense or of super-sense if you prefer determining form by way of the nature of materials.
Principles for the planing of Architecture within Nature:
- be inspired by nature and be sustainable, healthy, conserving, and diverse.
- unfold, like an organism, from the seed within.
- exist in the "continuous present" and "begin again and again".
- follow the flows and be flexible and adaptable.
- satisfy social, physical, and spiritual needs.
- "grow out of the site" and be unique.
- celebrate the spirit of youth, play, and surprise.
- express the rhythm of music and the power of dance.Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright. The main inspiration in Organic Architecture is from the nature.
- Monona Terrace Convention Center, Madison. Frank Lloyd Wright. It was built from the designplan of Frank Lloyd Wright. We did also participate in this project-, we helped with the layout and the construction-plandrawings for this building.